Monday, September 10, 2012

Nail Tutorial: Chevron Nails!

Today I bring you a super cute and trendy chevron nail look! I'm so in love with chevron stripes! They can be a little nautical, a little funky, a little tribal; they are just so versatile. I like to just do an accent nail with the chevrons and leave the rest solid, you could do chevrons on all your nails though if you'd like. I did see a video on how to do this from CutePolish. I thought I'd just show you some quick pictures on how to do this and a couple of tips.



1. Paint your nails a solid color, remember to use a base coat first.

2. While that dries, get out your tape dispenser (use regular scotch tape) and pull off at least a two inch long section (more if you're doing all your nails). I like to leave mine on the dispenser to keep it pulled tight, I also like to pull it a little past the end so I can have something to hold on to later. Now paint on the color that you want for your stripes, do a thin coat and wait at least a minute or two then do a second coat. Let this fully dry.

3. Now you need pinking shears (zigzag scissors), you can buy them at craft stores and you can probably find them at Walmart or Target in the craft section. Cut one end of the polished part to start the zigzag. Then cut into it again to make your stripe, this takes some practice to line it up correctly and to get the width you want. It took me a while to perfect this, I suggest practicing first before you're actually ready to do your nails.

4. Stick your stripes to your fully dry nail (definitely make sure your nails are fully dry so you don't smudge them) press down firmly. Leave the excess for now. Keep adding your stripes until it reaches your desired look. You can do just a few spread apart or several close together, up to you.

5. Trim off the excess tape as close to the edge as possible. I use cuticle cutter scissors, they allow you to get very close.

6. Seal it all with your favorite top coat.

7. Admire your pretty nails and let people wonder how you did such a good job!

This look can be changed up so much with different colors of lines and with different widths. You could even use scissors that have a different edge for a totally different look. Also you can use this technique with regular scissors to make perfect stripes.



Polishes I used for the Blue and White:
  OPI "Nail Envy Base Coat"
  Color Club "Blue- Ming"
  Wet N' Wild "Never Been Kissed"
  Seche Vite Top Coat

For the Pink Nail:
  Sinful Colors "Pink Forever"
  Pure Ice "Black Rage"
  Sally Hansen "Wet Cement"
  Wet n' Wild "Never Been Kissed"
  Seche Vite Top Coat


If you try this look I'd love to see pictures! Leave a link below!

No comments:

Post a Comment